News - 12/06/2013
- Dr. Stan Bogdanov has published
Hacking Hot Potatoes: The Cookbook, available in paperback, PDF and ePub format. Check it out!
- A change to the user agent string in Firefox 17 results in Hot Potatoes and Quandary
exercises showing an error message when loading in the browser. Version 188.8.131.52 (Windows) of Hot Potatoes, 184.108.40.206 (Java for Mac) of Hot Potatoes and version 220.127.116.11 of Quandary (Windows) have updated source files which fix the
problem, but you will need to rebuild your exercise HTML pages to solve it. See the Bugs and Updates page for more information.
- Hot Potatoes is now freeware. The complete version of the programs is now available for free, from the Downloads section below. The free version of Hot Potatoes for Windows is version 6.3, and the Java version is 6.1.
- Quandary, our other authoring tool for creating Web-based action mazes, is also now free.
- We no longer provide any technical support for Hot Potatoes or Quandary.
What is Hot Potatoes?
The Hot Potatoes suite includes six applications, enabling you to create interactive multiple-choice, short-answer, jumbled-sentence, crossword, matching/ordering and gap-fill exercises for the World Wide Web. Hot Potatoes is freeware, and you may use it for any purpose or project you like. It is not open-source. The Java version provides all the features found in the windows version, except: you can't upload to hotpotatoes.net and you can't export a SCORM object from Java Hot Potatoes.
Download Hot Potatoes for Windows from here:
- Hot Potatoes 6.3 installer (Hot Potatoes for Windows 98/ME/NT4/2000/XP/Vista, version 6.3).
- Hot Potatoes for Linux users running Wine (version 6.3). This is a zip file containing the folder structure of the Windows version of Hot Potatoes. You can extract this to create the HotPot program folder without running the setup program if you prefer.
Download Java Hot Potatoes:
- Download Java Hot Potatoes which will run on Mac OS X, Windows, Linux or any computer running a Java Virtual Machine. To install and run Java Hot Potatoes on Mac OS X:
- Download the file javahotpot61.zip from the link above.
- Unzip that file on your computer, you will have a folder called JavaHotPot6.
- Drag the JavaHotPot6 folder to the Applications directory on your computer.
- Open the folder and double-click the JavaHotPotatoes6 application icon.
- Trash the javahotpot61.zip file.
When you first start up Hot Potatoes, it will ask you for your user name. This name is stored on your computer, and not sent to anyone; it will be inserted into your exercises to identify you as the author. You must provide a user name before you can use all the features of Hot Potatoes.
Other software from the same authors
If the presentation of this site appears compromised (strange alignment, small text), the most likely reason is that your browser is not compliant with these current standards.